Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) had once said: “The seeking of knowledge is obligatory for every Muslim.”
The Zaidi family strongly believes in a generation of highly educated Muslims across all professions. They have arranged for a scholarship to recognize a deserving student who has excelled in academics while overcoming a financial hardship or personal struggle. For consideration of this scholarship, your personal journey will be just as important as your academic achievements. Every student should have a right to higher education to achieve their full potential. It is our belief that fostering education and enhancing opportunities for our youth, across all disciplines, will not only uplift the Muslim community but also enhance and strengthen the fabric of Canadian society.
Dr. Hasan Zaidi and Seema Zaidi have 3 children: Mahdi, Mikhail and Aydin. Although only 7 years of age, they have always demonstrated curiousity and a passion for learning. They have a long way to go but would like to be an ophthalmologist, teacher and prime minister!
Open to all high-school students in Grade 11 or 12 as of September 2017 who can demonstrate excellence in two or more of any combination of academics, athletics, business, religion, or ethics.
Number of Awards: 1
Application Opens: December 1, 2018
Application Deadline: February 28, 2019
Disbursement of Funds: Winter 2019
Award Date: October 5, 2019
- Self-identify as Muslim
- Be enrolled in grade 11 or 12
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Have attained an overall average of 80% or higher from Grade 9 to current Grade, calculated from a valid high-school transcript.
- Demonstrate involvement and leadership in extra-curricular activities at school.
- Demonstrate involvement in volunteer initiatives that have a positive impact on the Muslim community and Canadian society at large.
- Demonstrate leadership in working to overcome a significant life event or financial hardship that may impede their ability to pursue their education or produce undue hardship.
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes
- All courses must be completed before starting post-secondary studies
- Applicants who have been short-listed as finalists for the scholarship will be notified by email or phone in May.
- If you are short listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will take part in an interview process before a panel of judges some time between May and July 2018. More details about the interview process will be emailed to the finalists.
- If you are short-listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will also be expected to attend the Annual MAX Gala where you will be briefly announced and profiled as a finalist
- All winners of scholarships are entitled to the monetary award and are expected to contribute to the community by volunteering on the MAX Executive for the following year, which equates to approximately 50 hours of volunteer service over a full year. Through this, we hope to encourage meaningful engagement among our Scholarship Winners with MAX and the community at large while providing young Muslims with opportunities for mentorship and learning.
- If required, reference letters can be uploaded directly to us here
- Complete the scholarship application form by February 28, 2019
- Fill out application in full including essay questions
- Include documents providing proof of citizenship or permanent residency
- Include two signed reference letters (within last 12 months). One must be an academic reference and the other one community service. References from family members will not be accepted
- Include unofficial transcript for courses taken till date (a photocopy or printout is acceptable at time of application). For current courses, please include marks at interim; if short-listed as a finalist, a final official transcript must be provided by your school
- Include documents such as those demonstrating hours of community service
- Include copies of any awards, letters of excellence, or other authorized documents demonstrating excellence
- Please note, only files uploaded as a PDF will be accepted
Emphasize the applicant’s:
- Maturity and commitment to their studies
- Motivation to be engaged meaningfully in the Muslim community, Canada and the world at large