About Andalucian Routes and Spain Heritage Tour
The founders of Andalucian Routes visited Spain over 25 years ago and have been captivated by its beauty and rich Islamic heritage ever since.
Andalucian Routes – Islamic-Spain.com has been organizing specialist tours for over 15 years and although they provide mainly educational tours they have also developed a range of trips suitable for everyone: youth adventures, treks, cultural and activity holidays, and even tailor-made holidays.
Andalucian Routes offers a special 7-day/6-night Spain Heritage Tour led by the internationally acclaimed Dr. Abdullah Hakim Quick. Dr. Quick is a historian, social activist and religious leader of African and Native American descent. He has travelled to over 58 countries doing research and delivering lectures to various communities. He holds a BA from the Islamic University of Madinah in Saudi Arabia; and an MA and PhD from the History Department of the University of Toronto, Canada, which shapes his expertise in history. Sh. Quick has been successfully leading the Heritage tour since 2010.
On this tour by Andalucian Routes – Islamic-Spain.com – you’ll discover a lost world, the world of Al-Andalus, the name given to Spain during the 800 years of Muslim rule in that land. To learn about this special history, left out of Western history books, you’ll visit ancient cities, wander palaces, and visit great mosques. Your hosts will teach you about the great Muslim contributions to Western science, art, architecture, and much more. You’ll witness exactly how the roots of Western civilization lie in Islamic Spain, and how it ignited the Western renaissance. You’ll see that Islam and Muslims are a fundamental part of the West’s past, present and future!
Andalucian Routes will award a Spain Heritage Tour scholarship to a university or college student in Canada (as of September 2016) who has demonstrated excellence in academics, athletics, business, religion, or ethics. The objective of this award is to recognize and reward students who have excelled in academics and combined this achievement with outstanding contributions to their school and/or community.
|Amount of each award:
Number of awards:
(airfare, accommodation, ticket)
September fall semester, 2018
October 14, 2017
2018 Heritage Tour Dates
An eligible applicant must:
- Self-identify as Muslim
- Have Canadian Status: Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Demonstrate Academic Excellence: Demonstrate academic excellence as measured by an applicant’s GPA and class grade average. A candidate must have attained an overall average of 80% or higher in university/college, calculated from a valid transcript.
- Demonstrate Excellence in Community Service: Eligible applicants will have a proven track record of community service and involvement in activities that have a positive impact on the Muslim community and Canadian society at large
- Demonstrate Excellence in Extra-Curricular Interests: Eligible applicants will be involved in a variety of extra-curricular interests and will have demonstrated excellence in one or more of these interests. Categories could include but are not limited to sports, art of any form, innovation, technology, entrepreneurship, mentorship etc.
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes
- Applicants who have been short-listed as finalists for the scholarship will be notified by email or phone in late May
- If you are short listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will take part in an interview process before a panel of judges sometime between May and July. More details about the interview process will be emailed to the finalists in May
- If you are short-listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will also be expected to attend the Annual MAX Gala where you will be briefly announced and profiled as a finalist
- All winners of scholarships are entitled to the award, which consists of roundtrip airfare, accommodation and tour tickets for the recipient. The scholarship has no cash value and cannot be transferred for a monetary award. Winners are expected to contribute to the community by volunteering on the MAX Executive for the following year, which equates to approximately 50 hours of volunteer service over a full year. Through this, we hope to encourage meaningful engagement among our Scholarship Winners with MAX and the community at large while providing young Muslims with opportunities for mentorship and learning
- If required, reference letters can be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email their application to email@example.com by March 31st, 2017
- Fill out application in full including essay questions
- Include documents providing proof of citizenship or permanent residency
- Include two signed reference letters (within last 12 months). One must be an academic reference and the other one community service. References from family members will not be accepted
- Upload unofficial transcript for courses taken to date (a photocopy or printout is acceptable at time of application); if short-listed as a finalist, a final official transcript must be provided by your school
- Include documents such as those demonstrating hours of community service
- Include copies of any awards, letters of excellence, or other authorized documents demonstrating excellence
- If short-listed as a finalist, provide a proof of enrollment in post-secondary studies
Emphasize the applicant’s:
- Maturity and commitment to their studies
- Motivation to be engaged meaningfully in the Muslim community, Canada and the world at large
All applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline date. Scanned or mailed applications will not be accepted. Applications must be complete upon submission in order to be processed and assessed.
Please note that the application process for the 2017 MAX Spain Heritage Tour Scholarship will commence on December 15th, 2016. Potential candidates will have the opportunity to submit their completed applications through the MAX Website starting on this date through March 31st, 2017. To help manage application volume, the MAX Gala team will commence evaluation of submitted applications as early as February 28th, 2017 and will continue do so on a rolling basis through the application submission deadline on March 31st, 2017.
While candidates should prioritize submitting complete and quality applications, we encourage all candidates to submit their applications as early as possible.