The Salma & Jeelani Wani Scholarship for Film and TV aims to encourage young Canadian Muslims to tell their stories and bring their unique perspectives to the table in film and/or TV as writers, directors, producers, actors, or in other creative capacities. Film and TV exert huge influence on society and it is important that Muslims see themselves represented fairly in these mediums. We encourage Canadian Muslims to participate and excel in the entertainment industry.
Salma and Jeelani’s daughter, Rua Wani, works in the television industry and is grateful to her parents for their support and encouragement.
Number of Awards: 1
Application Opens: [ApplicationOpens]
Application Deadline: [ApplicationDeadline]
Disbursement of Funds: [DisbursementOfFunds]
Award Date: [AwardDate]
- Self identify as Muslim
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Be enrolled at a recognized post-secondary institution studying film or TV as of September 2018
- Have attained an overall average of 80% or higher in university/college, calculated from a valid transcript
- Demonstrate involvement in volunteer initiatives that have a positive impact on the Muslim community and Canadian society at large
- Demonstrate involvement and leadership in extra-curricular activities
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes
- Applicants who have been short-listed as finalists for the scholarship will be notified by email or phone in late May
- If you are short listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will take part in an interview process before a panel of judges some time between May and July 2018. More details about the interview process will be emailed to the finalists.
- All winners of scholarships are entitled to the monetary award and are expected to contribute to the community by volunteering on the MAX Executive for the following year, which equates to approximately 50 hours of volunteer service over a full year. Through this, we hope to encourage meaningful engagement among our scholarship winners with MAX and the community at large while providing young Muslims with opportunities for mentorship and learning.
- If required, reference letters can be uploaded directly to us here
- Complete the scholarship application form by [ApplicationDeadline]
- Fill out application in full including essay questions
- Include documents providing proof of citizenship or permanent residency
- Upload unofficial transcript for courses taken to date (a photocopy or printout is acceptable at time of application); if short-listed as a finalist, a final official transcript must be provided by your school
- Include documents such as those demonstrating hours of community service
- Include copies of any awards, letters of excellence, or other authorized documents demonstrating excellence
- If successfully awarded a scholarship, provide a proof of enrolment for post-secondary studies in the future
- Please note, only files uploaded as a PDF will be accepted
Emphasize the applicant’s:
- Maturity and commitment to their studies
- Motivation to be engaged meaningfully in the Muslim community, Canada and the world at large