Al-Qazzaz Foundation for Education and Development (QED) is a non-profit organization that is currently working to implement various programs to ease the settlement and integration process of vulnerable newcomers and marginalized communities in the GTA and beyond. This is done through innovative education and development projects, rooted in the values of human rights, democracy and social justice.
The QED Empowerment Grant has been donated by Al-Qazzaz Foundation for Education and Development (QED) to reward a student who has shown excellence in academics, community involvement and who is in financial need.
The QED Empowerment Grant is open to all undergraduate and graduate students in university or college in Canada who have had 1 full year of study and who are planning on continuing their studies in September 2019 and beyond. Recipients of this award will have demonstrated excellence in their academics and community involvement to better the lives of marginalized communities.
Amount of Each Award: $3,000
Number of Awards: 1
Application Opens: December 1, 2018
Application Deadline: February 28, 2019
Disbursement of Funds: Winter 2019
Award Date: October 5, 2019
- In need of financial assistance
- Self-identify as Muslim
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Have attained an overall average of 80% or higher in university/college, calculated from a valid transcript
- Be enrolled at a recognized post-secondary institution as of Fall 2019
- Demonstrate involvement and leadership in extra-curricular activities
- Demonstrate involvement in volunteer initiatives that have a positive impact on the Muslim community and Canadian society at large
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes
- All courses must be completed before starting post-secondary studies
- Applicants who have been short-listed as finalists for the scholarship will be notified by email or phone in late May
- If you are short listed as a finalist you will be invited to a panel interview between May and July 2019. More details about the interview process will be emailed at a later time.
- If you are a winner of the scholarship, you will also be expected to attend the Scholarship Reception (date to be confirmed at a later point) where you will be profiled as a winner, and the Annual MAX Gala on October 5, 2019.
- All winners are also expected to contribute 50 hours of volunteer service with MAX the following year. Through this, we hope to encourage meaningful engagement among our Scholarship Winners with MAX and the community at large while providing young Muslims with opportunities for mentorship and learning.
- If required, reference letters can be uploaded directly to us here
- Complete the scholarship application form by February 28, 2019
- Fill out application in full including essay questions
- Include documents providing proof of citizenship or permanent residency or protected person status (drivers license is not accepted)
- Include two signed reference letters (within last 12 months). One must be an academic reference and the other one community service. References from family members will not be accepted.
- Upload unofficial transcript for courses taken to date (a photocopy or printout is acceptable at time of application); if short-listed as a finalist, a final official transcript must be provided by your school.
- Include copies of any awards, letters of excellence, or other authorized documents demonstrating excellence
- If successfully awarded a scholarship, provide proof of enrolment for post-secondary studies
- Please note, PDFs of all documents are preferred