About Mohammad Humayun Zafar
Mr. Humayun Zafar believed that excelling at studying and understanding the physical laws of nature is a form of service to God as the laws of nature are God’s laws. He believed that Muslims should strive to achieve excellence and lead innovation in the sciences in order to contribute to society and elevate the brand of Muslims. He was also an inspiration to his son, as well as an inspiration to his nephews.
MAX is founded through his inspiration.
Open to all undergraduate and graduate students, who are enrolled in science or engineering programs as of September 2017. Recipients of this award will have demonstrated significant achievement in the sciences or engineering.
Examples of significant achievement include publications in academic journals, business start-ups in the areas of science or engineering, meaningful patents filed that have applications to society, and/or high marks with distinction.
|Amount of each award:
Number of awards:
Disbursement of funds:
January winter semester 2018
October 14, 2017
- Self-identify as Muslim
- Be a Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Be enrolled at a recognized post-secondary institution in the sciences or engineering (please see below for details)
- Demonstrate involvement in activities that have a positive impact on the Muslim community and Canadian society
- Demonstrate involvement in extra-curricular activities at their post-secondary institution
- Demonstrate significant achievements in science or engineering including, but not limited to: publications in academic journals, business start-ups in the areas of science or engineering, and/or meaningful patents filed that have applications to society
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes.
- Fields of science can be either natural sciences (biology, chemistry, physics, and earth sciences) or social sciences (psychology, anthropology, and sociology).
- Fields of engineering include civil, electrical, computer, systems design, chemical, mechanical and biomedical.
- Applicants who have been short-listed as finalists for the scholarship will be notified by email or phone in May
- If you are short listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will take part in an interview process before a panel of judges some time between May and July 2017. More details about the interview process will be emailed to the finalists.
- If you are short-listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will also be expected to attend the Annual MAX Gala where you will be briefly announced and profiled as a finalist
- All winners of scholarships are entitled to the monetary award, and are additionally expected to contribute to the community by volunteering on the MAX Executive for the following year, which equates to approximately 50 hours of volunteer service over a full year. Through this, we hope to encourage engagement among our scholarship winners with MAX and the community at large while providing young Muslims with opportunities for mentorship and learning.
- If required, reference letters can be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email their application to email@example.com by March 31st, 2017
- Fill out application in full including essay questions
- Include documents providing proof of citizenship or permanent residency
- Include three signed reference letters (within last 12 months). One must be an academic reference, the second community service and the third a reference letter that supports a significant achievement in science or engineering. References from family members will not be accepted
- Upload unofficial transcript for courses taken to date (a photocopy or printout is acceptable at time of application); if short-listed as a finalist, a final official transcript must be provided by your school
- Include documents such as those demonstrating hours of community service
- Include copies of any awards, letters of excellence, or other authorized documents demonstrating excellence, including copies of key publications
- If short-listed as a finalist, provide a proof of enrolment in post-secondary studies
Emphasize the applicant’s:
- Maturity and commitment to a strong work ethic, ambition, excellence (Ihsaan), and vision.
- Significant achievements including, but not limited to, publications in academic journals, business start-ups in the areas of science or engineering, or meaningful patents filed that have applications to society
- Motivation to be engaged meaningfully in the Muslim community, Canada and the world at large
All applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline date. Scanned or mailed applications will not be accepted. Applications must be complete upon submission in order to be processed and assessed.
Please note that the application process for the 2017 MAX Mohammad Humayun Zafar Scholarship for Sciences and Engineering will commence on November 1st, 2016. Potential candidates will have the opportunity to submit their completed applications through the Max Website starting on this date through March 31st, 2017. To help manage application volume, the MAX Gala team will commence evaluation of submitted applications as early as February 28th, 2017 and will continue do so on a rolling basis through the application submission deadline on March 31st, 2017.
While candidates should prioritize submitting complete and quality applications, we encourage all candidates to submit their applications as early as possible.