Mr. Humayun Zafar believed that excelling at studying and understanding the physical laws of nature is a form of service to God as the laws of nature are God’s laws. He believed that Muslims should strive to achieve excellence and lead innovation in the sciences in order to contribute to society and elevate the brand of Muslims. He was also an inspiration to his son, as well as an inspiration to his nephews.
MAX is founded through his inspiration.
Open to all undergraduate and graduate students, who are enrolled in science or engineering programs as of September 2018.
Number of Awards: 1
Application Opens: December 1, 2018
Application Deadline: February 28, 2019
Disbursement of Funds: Winter 2019
Award Date: October 5, 2019
- Self-identify as a Muslim
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Have attained an overall average of 80% or higher from University/College, calculated from a valid transcript
- Be enrolled at a recognized post-secondary institution in the Sciences or Engineering as of September 2019
- Fields of science can include natural sciences (biology, chemistry, physics, and earth sciences) or social sciences (psychology, anthropology, and sociology).
- Fields of engineering can include civil, electrical, computer, systems design, chemical, mechanical and biomedical.
- Demonstrate involvement and leadership in extra-curricular activities
- Demonstrate involvement in volunteer initiatives that have a positive impact on the Muslim community and Canadian society
- Demonstrate significant achievements in science or engineering including, but not limited to: publications in academic journals, business start-ups in the areas of science or engineering, and/or meaningful patents filed that have applications to society
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes
- All courses must be completed before starting post-secondary studies
- Applicants who have been short-listed as finalists for the scholarship will be notified by email or phone in late May
- If you are short listed as a finalist you will be invited to a panel interview between May and July 2019. More details about the interview process will be emailed at a later time.
- If you are a winner of the scholarship, you will also be expected to attend the Scholarship Reception (date to be confirmed at a later point) where you will be profiled as a winner, and the Annual MAX Gala on October 5, 2019.
- All winners are also expected to contribute 50 hours of volunteer service with MAX the following year. Through this, we hope to encourage meaningful engagement among our Scholarship Winners with MAX and the community at large while providing young Muslims with opportunities for mentorship and learning.
- If required, reference letters can be uploaded directly to us here
- Complete the scholarship application form by February 28, 2019
- Fill out application in full including essay questions
- Include documents providing proof of citizenship or permanent residency or protected person status (drivers license is not accepted)
- Include two signed reference letters (within last 12 months). One must be an academic reference and the other one community service. References from family members will not be accepted.
- Upload unofficial transcript for courses taken to date (a photocopy or printout is acceptable at time of application); if short-listed as a finalist, a final official transcript must be provided by your school.
- Include copies of any awards, letters of excellence, or other authorized documents demonstrating excellence
- If successfully awarded a scholarship, provide proof of enrolment for post-secondary studies
- Please note, PDFs of all documents are preferred