The Mohamed Foundation Scholarship for Outstanding Achievement has been donated by Dr. Roubiya Mohamed and Mr. Sameem Mohamed. Roubiya is a family physician who graduated from University of Western Ontario and Sameem is a Professional Engineer and a graduate of the University of Waterloo. Being Muslims & professionally successful in their fields, they would like to encourage young Muslims pursuing higher education. They are currently offering this scholarship to schools and other organizations. The scholarships will be awarded to two high school graduating students pursuing post secondary education, one in engineering and one in medicine at the University level.
Number of Awards: 2
Application Opens: October 14, 2017
Application Deadline: March 1, 2018 - Applications closed
Disbursement of Funds: Winter 2018
Award Date: October 6, 2018
- Self-identify as Muslim
- Be enrolled in grade 12
- Planning to pursue a post secondary education, in engineering or medicine at the University level (proof of enrollment will be required before the award is given)
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Have attained an overall average of 80% or higher from Grade 9 to current Grade (12), calculated from a valid high-school transcript
- Demonstrate involvement in volunteer initiatives that have a positive impact on the Muslim community and Canadian society at large
- Demonstrate involvement and leadership in extra-curricular activities at school
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes
- All courses must be completed before starting post-secondary studies
- Applicants who have been short-listed as finalists for the scholarship will be notified by email or phone in May.
- If you are short listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will take part in an interview process before a panel of judges some time between May and July 2018. More details about the interview process will be emailed to the finalists.
- If you are short-listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will also be expected to attend the Annual MAX Gala where you will be briefly announced and profiled as a finalist
- All winners of scholarships are entitled to the monetary award and are expected to contribute to the community by volunteering on the MAX Executive for the following year, which equates to approximately 50 hours of volunteer service over a full year. Through this, we hope to encourage meaningful engagement among our Scholarship Winners with MAX and the community at large while providing young Muslims with opportunities for mentorship and learning.
- If required, reference letters can be uploaded directly to us here
- Complete the scholarship application form by March 1, 2018 - Applications closed
- Fill out application in full including essay questions
- Include documents providing proof of citizenship or permanent residency
- Include two signed reference letters (within last 12 months). One must be an academic reference and the other one community service. References from family members will not be accepted.
- Include unofficial transcript for courses taken till date (a photocopy or printout is acceptable at time of application) For grade 12 courses, please include marks at interim; if short-listed as a finalist, a final official transcript must be provided by your school.
- Include documents such as those demonstrating hours of community service
- Include copies of any awards, letters of excellence, or other authorized documents demonstrating excellence
- If short-listed as a finalist, provide a proof of enrolment in post-secondary studies
- Please note, only files uploaded as a PDF will be accepted
Emphasize the applicant’s:
- Maturity and commitment to their studies
- Motivation to be engaged meaningfully in the Muslim community, Canada and the world at large