Mohamad Fakih is a Lebanese-Canadian entrepreneur and CEO of Canada’s fastest-growing Middle Eastern restaurant chain Paramount Fine Foods. After purchasing a struggling Middle Eastern shop in 2007, Fakih has grown the Paramount brand into a global chain with 52 restaurants internationally and 42 in Canada. Fakih is committed to shaking up perceptions of Middle Eastern restaurants by changing the way the cuisine is viewed and enjoyed.
Fakih is also community leader committed to giving back to the Canadian community that welcomed him. Throughout his leadership at Paramount Fine Foods, Fakih has regularly participated in fundraisers and community events. These include but are not limited to Paramount’s partnerships with Make a Wish Foundation, Sick Kids, Canadian Cancer Society, and True Patriot Love Foundation. Fakih has also pledged to hire 100 Syrian refugees at Paramount restaurants.
Mohamad’s wife Hanan has been by his side since the beginning of Paramount Fine Foods, and has helped spark many of Mohamad and Paramount’s philanthropic efforts. Hanan helped to prompt Mohamad’s generous donation toward families affected by the Quebec City mosque shooting, and she has been a driving force behind many of Paramount’s charitable efforts. In addition, Hanan helped launch the Paramount Butcher Shop concept. Mohamad and Hanan are also proud parents to three young boys.
Number of Awards: 3
Application Opens: October 14, 2017
Application Deadline: March 1, 2018
Disbursement of Funds: Winter 2019
Award Date: Fall 2018
- Self-identify as Muslim
- Be enrolled in grade 12
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident
- Have attained an overall average of 80% or higher from Grade 9 to current Grade (12), calculated from a valid high-school transcript
- Demonstrate involvement in volunteer initiatives that have a positive impact on the Muslim community and Canadian society at large
- Demonstrate involvement and leadership in extra-curricular activities at school
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes
- All courses must be completed before starting post-secondary studies
- Applicants who have been short-listed as finalists for the scholarship will be notified by email or phone in May.
- If you are short listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will take part in an interview process before a panel of judges some time between May and July 2018. More details about the interview process will be emailed to the finalists.
- If you are short-listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will also be expected to attend the Annual MAX Gala where you will be briefly announced and profiled as a finalist
- All winners of scholarships are entitled to the monetary award and are expected to contribute to the community by volunteering on the MAX Executive for the following year, which equates to approximately 50 hours of volunteer service over a full year. Through this, we hope to encourage meaningful engagement among our Scholarship Winners with MAX and the community at large while providing young Muslims with opportunities for mentorship and learning.
- If required, reference letters can be uploaded directly to us here
- Complete the scholarship application form by March 1, 2018
- Fill out application in full including essay questions
- Include documents providing proof of citizenship or permanent residency
- Include two signed reference letters (within last 12 months). One must be an academic reference and the other one community service. References from family members will not be accepted.
- Include unofficial transcript for courses taken till date (a photocopy or printout is acceptable at time of application) For grade 12 courses, please include marks at interim; if short-listed as a finalist, a final official transcript must be provided by your school.
- Include documents such as those demonstrating hours of community service
- Include copies of any awards, letters of excellence, or other authorized documents demonstrating excellence
- If short-listed as a finalist, provide a proof of enrolment in post-secondary studies
- Please note, only files uploaded as a PDF will be accepted
- Maturity and commitment to their studies
- Motivation to be engaged meaningfully in the Muslim community, Canada and the world at large