Dr. Ahmed inspired a whole generation of Muslim high school and university students through the example he set for others to follow. He excelled at academics, gained admission to Medical School at the highly competitive University of Toronto, and concurrently led Muslim organizations on campus. His on campus leadership included organizing some of the first Canadian Muslim basketball tournaments in Toronto while being immersed in his studies and clinical rotations.
Dr. Ahmed is now an Ophthalmologist and is recognized as one of the world’s most experienced complex eye surgeons. He is known not only for being at the leading edge of innovative treatments, but for developing new techniques and surgical devices. Other eye surgeons now reach for Ahmed Diamond Knives and the Ahmed Segment. He is also on the editorial board of six ophthalmology journals and has presented at over 550 medical conferences in Canada and around the world.
Open to all high-school students in Grade 12 as of September 2017 who can demonstrate excellence in two or more of any combination of academics, athletics, business, religion, or ethics.
Number of Awards: 1
Application Opens: [ApplicationOpens]
Application Deadline: [ApplicationDeadline]
Disbursement of Funds: [DisbursementOfFunds]
Award Date: [AwardDate]
- Self-identify as a Muslim
- Be enrolled in grade 12
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident
- Have attained an overall average of 90% or higher from Grade 9 to current Grade (12), calculated from a valid high-school transcript
- Intend to enroll in a recognized post-secondary institution in 2018
- Demonstrate involvement and leadership in extra-curricular activities at school
- Demonstrate involvement in volunteer initiatives that have a positive impact on the Muslim community and Canadian society at large
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes
- All courses must be completed before starting post-secondary studies
- Applicants who have been short-listed as finalists for the scholarship will be notified by email or phone in late May.
- If you are short listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will take part in an interview process before a panel of judges some time between May and July 2018. More details about the interview process will be emailed to the finalists.
- If you are short-listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will also be expected to attend the Annual MAX Gala where you will be briefly announced and profiled as a finalist
- All winners of scholarships are entitled to the monetary award and are expected to contribute to the community by volunteering on the MAX Executive for the following year, which equates to approximately 50 hours of volunteer service over a full year. Through this, we hope to encourage meaningful engagement among our Scholarship Winners with MAX and the community at large while providing young Muslims with opportunities for mentor-ship and learning
- If required, reference letters can be uploaded directly to us here
- Complete the scholarship application form by [ApplicationDeadline]
- Fill out application in full including essay questions
- Include documents providing proof of citizenship or permanent residency
- Include two signed reference letters (within last 12 months). One must be an academic reference and the other one community service.
- References from family members will not be accepted
- Include unofficial transcript for courses taken till date (a photocopy or printout is acceptable at time of application) For grade 12 courses, please include marks at interim; if short-listed as a finalist, a final official transcript must be provided by your school
- Include documents such as those demonstrating hours of community service
- Include copies of any awards, letters of excellence, or other authorized documents demonstrating excellence
- If successfully awarded a scholarship, provide a proof of enrolment for post-secondary studies in the future
- Please note, only files uploaded as a PDF will be accepted
Emphasize the applicant’s:
- Maturity and commitment to their studies
- Motivation to be engaged meaningfully in the Muslim community, Canada and the world at large