Goldy Hyder is a graduate of University of Calgary where he completed his Bachelor and Masters of Arts in Political Science. He has served as Chief of Staff to Rt. Hon Joe Clark and has been with Hill+Knowlton Strategies for the past sixteen years where he is currently President & CEO. Goldy is married to Fatima and they have three daughters.
Sheroo Hyder is also a graduate of the University of Calgary majoring in History. He is President & CEO of Link Insurance Agency, a firm founded by his parents over thirty five years ago and now has fourteen locations in Alberta. Sheroo is married to Zeenat and they have two sons.
Both Goldy, Sheroo and their families are active supporters of charitable causes in their respective communities of Ottawa and Calgary.
Amount of Each Award: $2,500
Number of Awards: 1
Application Opens: December 1, 2018
Application Deadline: February 28, 2019
Disbursement of Funds: Winter 2019
Award Date: October 5, 2019
- Self-identify as Muslim
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Have attained an overall average of 80% or higher in university/college, calculated from a valid transcript
- Be enrolled in the humanities at a recognized post-secondary institution as of September 2018
- Humanities include, but not limited to: languages, linguistics, literature, history, philosophy, political sciences, ethics, comparative religion, history
- Demonstrate involvement in volunteer initiatives that have a positive impact on the Muslim community and Canadian society at large
- Demonstrate involvement and leadership in extra-curricular activities
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes
- Applicants who have been short-listed as finalists for the scholarship will be notified by email or phone in late May.
- If you are short listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will take part in an interview process before a panel of judges some time between May and July 2018. More details about the interview process will be emailed to the finalists.
- All winners of scholarships are entitled to the monetary award and are expected to contribute to the community by volunteering on the MAX Executive for the following year, which equates to approximately 50 hours of volunteer service over a full year. Through this, we hope to encourage meaningful engagement among our Scholarship Winners with MAX and the community at large while providing young Muslims with opportunities for mentorship and learning.
- If required, reference letters can be uploaded directly to us here
- Complete the scholarship application form by February 28, 2019
- Fill out application in full including essay questions
- Include documents providing proof of citizenship or permanent residency
- Upload unofficial transcript for courses taken to date (a photocopy or printout is acceptable at time of application); if short-listed as a finalist, a final official transcript must be provided by your school
- Include documents such as those demonstrating hours of community service
- Include copies of any awards, letters of excellence, or other authorized documents demonstrating excellence
- If successfully awarded a scholarship, provide a proof of enrolment for post-secondary studies in the future
- Please note, only files uploaded as a PDF will be accepted
Emphasize the applicant’s:
- Maturity and commitment to their studies
- Motivation to be engaged meaningfully in the Muslim community, Canada and the world at large