Amount of Each Award: $2,500
Number of Awards: 2
Application Opens: October 14, 2017
Application Deadline: March 1, 2018
Disbursement of Funds: Winter 2019
Award Date: Fall 2018
- Self-identify as a Muslim and of Somali-Descent.
- Have Canadian Status: Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Education: Enrolled in a recognized post-secondary institution, with an overall average of at least 80% (calculated from a valid university/college transcript)
- Demonstrate Excellence in Community Service: Student is involved in the community creating a positive change.
- Demonstrate Excellence in Extra-Curricular Interests: Eligible applicants will be involved in extra-curricular activities
- Demonstrate Excellence of Character: A candidate may use the essay to elaborate on his or her character by describing certain scenarios in which he or she has demonstrated good character in a difficult situation.
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes
- Applicants who have been short-listed as finalists for the scholarship will be notified by email or phone in late May
- If you are short listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will take part in an interview process before a panel of judges some time between May and July 2018. More details about the interview process will be emailed to the finalists.
- If you are short-listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will also be expected to attend the Annual MAX Gala where you will be briefly announced and profiled as a finalist
- All winners of scholarships are entitled to the monetary award and are expected to contribute to the community by volunteering on the MAX Executive for the following year, which equates to approximately 50 hours of volunteer service over a full year. Through this, we hope to encourage meaningful engagement among our scholarship winners with MAX and the community at large while providing young Muslims with opportunities for mentor-ship and learning.
- If required, reference letters can be uploaded directly to us here
- Complete the scholarship application form by March 1, 2018
- Fill out application in full including essay questions
- Include documents providing proof of citizenship or permanent residency (drivers license is not accepted)
- Include two signed reference letters (within last 12 months). One must be an academic reference and the other one community service. References from family members will not be accepted.
- Include unofficial transcript for courses taken till date (a photocopy or printout is acceptable at time of application) For grade 12 courses, please include marks at interim; if short-listed as a finalist, a final official transcript must be provided by your school.
- Include documents such as those demonstrating hours of community service
- Include copies of any awards, letters of excellence, or other authorized documents demonstrating excellence
- If short-listed as a finalist, provide a proof of enrolment in post-secondary studies
- Please note, only files uploaded as a PDF will be accepted
Emphasize the applicant’s:
- Maturity and commitment to their studies
- Motivation to be engaged meaningfully in the Muslim community, Canada and the world at large