As new immigrants, Pervez Akhter and his wife, Aasima Sadique chose Mississauga, Canada as their new home almost 20 years ago. Despite facing many challenges as a newcomer, with the unconditional support of his wife, his dedication, hard work and by availing the great opportunities offered by this wonderful country, Alhamdulillah, Pervez proved himself as a successful businessman and entrepreneur.
Growing up, Pervez’s parents always stressed the value of education and encouraged him to pursue a career while giving back to his community and he carries that torch of wisdom to this day by encouraging his children, Malaika, Javeria, and Zohair to do the same. In today’s world, Muslim youth face a multitude of challenges and it is heartbreaking to see bright young adults deterred from their paths due to financial constraints. Pervez and Aasima understand that undergraduate and post-graduate education can be costly and hope that this scholarship will recognize the efforts of outstanding young Muslim students within the community and aid them in their path to success.
Amount of Each Award: $3,000
Number of Awards: 1
Application Opens: December 1, 2018
Application Deadline: February 28, 2019
Disbursement of Funds: Winter 2019
Award Date: October 5, 2019
- Self-identify as Muslim
- Be enrolled in grade 12
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Have attained an overall average of 80% or higher from Grade 9 to current Grade (12), calculated from a valid high-school transcript
- Intend to enroll in a recognized post-secondary institution in Fall 2019
- Demonstrate involvement and leadership in extra-curricular activities at school
- Demonstrate involvement in volunteer initiatives that have a positive impact on the Muslim community and Canadian society
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes
- All courses must be completed before starting post-secondary studies
- Applicants who have been short-listed as finalists for the scholarship will be notified by email or phone in late May
- If you are short listed as a finalist you will be invited to a panel interview between May and July 2019. More details about the interview process will be emailed at a later time.
- If you are a winner of the scholarship, you will also be expected to attend the Scholarship Reception (date to be confirmed at a later point) where you will be profiled as a winner, and the Annual MAX Gala on October 5, 2019.
- All winners are also expected to contribute 50 hours of volunteer service with MAX the following year. Through this, we hope to encourage meaningful engagement among our Scholarship Winners with MAX and the community at large while providing young Muslims with opportunities for mentorship and learning.
- If required, reference letters can be uploaded directly to us here
- Complete the scholarship application form by February 28, 2019
- Fill out application in full including essay questions
- Include documents providing proof of citizenship or permanent residency or protected person status (drivers license is not accepted)
- Include two signed reference letters (within last 12 months). One must be an academic reference and the other one community service. References from family members will not be accepted.
- Include unofficial transcript for courses taken till date (a photocopy or printout is acceptable at time of application) For grade 12 courses, please include marks at interim; if short-listed as a finalist, a final official transcript must be provided by your school.
- Include copies of any awards, letters of excellence, or other authorized documents demonstrating excellence
- If successfully awarded a scholarship, provide proof of enrolment for post-secondary studies
- Please note, PDFs of all documents are preferred