Sajda Khatoon was an inspiration to her children and grandchildren. With fortitude and determination, she raised and educated 4 kids in Pakistan and then came to North America where she helped raise upright and humble, yet very educated grandchildren. She sacrificed herself over and over for the sake of her children and grandchildren.
She is remembered vividly and with a smile on their faces by all of her kids and grandchildren, and she passed on the importance of being a close knit and supportive family to them. Their success and bond today is a testament to her wisdom and teachings.
Open to all undergraduate and graduate students in university or college in Canada, as of September 2018. Recipients of this award will have demonstrated excellence in two or more of any combination of academics, athletics, business, religion, or ethics.
Amount of Each Award: $5,000
Number of Awards: 1
Application Opens: October 14, 2017
Application Deadline: March 15, 2018
Disbursement of Funds: Winter, 2019
Award Date: October 6, 2018
- Self-identify as Muslim
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Have attained an overall average of 80% or higher in university/college, calculated from a valid transcript
- Be enrolled at a recognized post-secondary institution as of September 2018
- Demonstrate involvement in volunteer initiatives that have a positive impact on the Muslim community and Canadian society at large
- Demonstrate involvement and leadership in extra-curricular activities
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes
- Applicants who have been short-listed as finalists for the scholarship will be notified by email or phone in late May.
- If you are short listed as a finalist for the scholarship, you will take part in an interview process before a panel of judges some time between May and July 2018. More details about the interview process will be emailed to the finalists.
- All winners of scholarships are entitled to the monetary award and are expected to contribute to the community by volunteering on the MAX Executive for the following year, which equates to approximately 50 hours of volunteer service over a full year. Through this, we hope to encourage meaningful engagement among our Scholarship Winners with MAX and the community at large while providing young Muslims with opportunities for mentorship and learning.
- If required, reference letters can be uploaded directly to us here
- Complete the scholarship application form
- Fill out application in full including essay questions
- Include documents providing proof of citizenship or permanent residency
- Upload unofficial transcript for courses taken to date (a photocopy or printout is acceptable at time of application); if short-listed as a finalist, a final official transcript must be provided by your school
- Include documents such as those demonstrating hours of community service
- Include copies of any awards, letters of excellence, or other authorized documents demonstrating excellence
- If successfully awarded a scholarship, provide a proof of enrolment for post-secondary studies in the future
- Please note, only files uploaded as a PDF will be accepted
Emphasize the applicant’s:
- Maturity and commitment to their studies
- Motivation to be engaged meaningfully in the Muslim community, Canada and the world at large